Wanna Search Something Gingery? Go Ahead!

Friday, August 24, 2012

Ginger Rogers places in Dallas and Fort Worth

Got back from a vacation 3 days ago from Dallas and Fort Worth. Went to go see some pretty neat places and even went to Oklahoma City. But what was really neat was going to the places that Ginger had been to in the Dallas/ Fort Worth area. All pictures in this post are ©WinonaGomez Please do not take without permission. Thank you.

Here on 1510 Cooper Street(That address doesn't exist anymore, but it was on this street still) in Fort Worth is where her house would of been:


Sadly the house is no longer around. It was probably demolished somewhere after 2005 because there were reports of it still there by then. I've seen a photo of it from that year somewhere on Google, but I forgot what I  had searched, so couldn't find the pic. Even though now the street looks different and the house is gone, it's still amazing to know that at one time Ginger had walked on this street. : )

In downtown Fort Worth you have the Texas Hotel. Ginger came here so at the theater she could perform for the Charleston contest:

You can tell that how the building looks, it still hasn't changed. It's been through a few names, first the Texas Hotel, then The Radisson, and now it's a Hilton. I got to walk by the entrance, but thought it was so neat that Ginger also had walked into the entrance.

This here a few blocks down was a plaque that mentioned Ginger:


Now over at Dallas we have two buildings. First is where The Baker Hotel once stood. After winning in Fort Worth, Ginger came over to Dallas and it was at The Baker Hotel she won as the Texas state champion of the Charleston contest. Sadly, the building was torn down in 1981 I believe, and now it's a different building:
There are not many great pics of this building. I think it's called One Bell Plaza, not too sure. It was nice to know that The Baker Hotel once stood here, and it was there that started Ginger into her career.
This is an old postcard of it:

Now we have my favorite building, The Adolphus. It is an hotel that Ginger stayed at in 1936 when she was invited to the Texas Centennial Celebration. It's such a beautiful building and still looks the same as it did then! 


It was so awesome to see that building in person. It was really neat to walk inside the lobby knowing that Ginger had walked into the lobby too! :D
Here's an old postcard of it:
The Adolphus is the one on the right. What's interesting is I had found an old post card while shopping, and it had The Adolphus and The Baker Hotel diagonal to each other. Which is true because when you go there, the One Bell Plaza where the Baker Hotel was is right next to The Adolphus. : )

I had a great time in Dallas and Fort Worth. I had found some Gingery things while antique shopping there, and I might share those sometime. I also went to see some great places. The JFK museum in Dallas was awesome, got to go to a Flight museum and go tour inside a B-29. In Oklahoma City I got to go to the 45th Infantry Division museum, and the Oklahoma City Memorial for that bombing in 95 there, which was sad. I also got to see some famous graves including Bonnie and Clyde's graves. 

But going to the Gingery places was really awesome for me since I'm a Ginger Rogers fan. Knowing that her presence in those areas is just really exciting! Now I just need to go to New York, Missouri, Oregon, and California. ; )

14 comments:

  1. Had fun, glad you could get the pics of Ginger stuff. Hey who's the bad a$$ photographer?:-) xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha, of course you! If it wasn't for you, it would've been hard to take the pics. I'm glad it was a fun vacation! Now it's back to the same old routine.....and next week starts school. :(

      Delete
    2. Well actually, you didn't take the pic of the plaque, that was me. ;P

      Delete
  2. Yeah yeah missy! My camera my pics:-) School will be fine! Love ya!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. ...great documentation of the trip, GF!!!

    At least now I know the 'GingerSpots' in the area, whenever I can get back over there...sad there are so many things gone, but... it has been quite a while... and nice she is mentioned on the plaque
    ...and those pics ARE wickedawesome! I could have used that professional grade photographer in Boston...

    Welp, have fun in school...it will be cool once ya get rolling with it.

    KIG, GF!!!
    Hu
    ---

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes my mom is a really good photographer. She loves taking pictures, and eventually wants to take a photography class. Hopefully in the future she can and pursue that as a career.
      Ya the past week already picked up textbooks, got lockers, and the schedules. Hopefully it's not too hard of a year, they say that 11th grade is the hardest. But what I really can't wait for is to take my Art 2 class!!! :D
      Have a great evening.

      Delete
    2. ...I'm not too worried about your art class... you could probably teach that one...

      ...well, my camera is on its last lens... we replaced the batteries in it before leaving for the exhibit, and it acted a bit squirrely there...focus trouble mainly. Hey - hope winona jumps into the photo classes...always cool to take up a hobby which may yield $$$ - if she gets good, can do 'photo shoots' for folks...not a bad deal.

      11th is just a bit harder than 10th...as it should be. You will do fine!

      Well, guess I got nowhere quick today on my RIM review...dang it. I still have some 'caps' to do, and need to write the 'general' review... so... who knows! I'll keep on rolling along, tho...hate to work on it after about 10 pm or so, as I start to get a bit fuzzy....want to put 100% alertness into it, ya know?

      have a great rest of the weekend, and hope school rolls along well...don;t forget we have a three-day weekend next week! :-]

      KIG - Hu
      ------

      Delete
  4. Hahaha, thanks for the compliment! I hardly get those about my drawings except sometimes. I have a lot up on Facebook, but nobody likes or comments. Only a couple of friends sometimes, but hardly ever. It's usually my mom or dad who like them. :/
    How old is the camera??? Maybe it's time to say goodbye to that one and get a new one. But camera's a pretty expensive. I think we had to pay off for the one my mom has(forget the whole story).
    Yes my mom would like to do something like that. Although she loves to take pics of nature more. She has some pretty good pics of mountains, clouds, and some other stuff. She also likes to take pics of churches. When we're on a trip and run into a small town with a church, she wants to stop and take a pic of it. :)
    Hopefully the first day of school goes great tomorrow. I'm all blah and nervous about it, but if you think about it, it's really only meeting the teachers and them talking about their class.
    Have a gingery sunday!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Don't think your drawings aren't good just because Facebook doesn't get any comments. Facebook is not a good forum for art work and wouldn't show off your work to it greatest potential anyway.
    The pics from your trip are great. The Adolphus is a beautiful building and I never would have guessed it was in Texas. It must have been very cool to walk where Ginger Rogers had been :)
    Good luck at school. 11th grade is hard and there is a lot of pressure about going to college or to wait etc. Try and take it one day at a time. Remember, Ginger never quit no matter how many takes it took or how much her feet bled! Keep at it and you will succeed!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ya, I guess Facebook isn't really a good place. The other places I'm on is Youtube but that's for videos) and Pinterest, which you can't post your own stuff really. But I guess my best bet is on blogger. Maybe I just will have to make a non-gingery post. I've done a few Ginger Rogers drawings, but my real passion is the cartoon type! I like having imagination and coming up with your own world. I will have to post them maybe on here sometime. :)
      Ya I live in Texas so it's cool being near Ginger Rogers places. I had learned that there's some hotel in Houston that Ginger stayed at in her later years, it's under a different name now but I thought it was neat! I live just outside the Houston area so sometime I should go to downtown and take some pics of that place.
      11th grade is hard, especially in Texas they push you harder. I've heard from some Seniors that they really push you in that year on college. But they say it's an easier year then 11th. I'm just happy to be almost done(Two years!)and then kinda excited for college, but then not.
      I will try to do my best! I really want to go into creating a videogame with my characters. That's another thing I love, videogames lol. I really know when they started and the history. Also love playing them, so I want to create one. Hopefully I can achieve that dream. :)
      Have a great day!

      Delete
  6. Hey, love the photos from Fort Worth and Dallas, i'm now yearning for another trip in that direction, i've been through both on Amtrak but wasn't in either long enough to leave the station :( I do envy ya'll for being in the same country that Ginger (and Fred) were born in, even if the country is huge!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are so many Ginger locations I wish I could go to. You were so lucky to go to the Boston exhibit twice and Independence, Missouri that one time. Aren't there any places Ginger's been to in the UK? I know she performed there but is the theater still there? That would be interesting to see. The place I want to go to for sure is L.A.!!!!!
      Have a gingery week!!! :)

      Delete
  7. The theatre in Drury Lane is very much still there, i've been in the lobby but no further Shrek is showing there at the moment and i'm in no hurry to see that lol. Shepperton Studios where Twist of Fate was filmed is also still going :)
    I guess i can't complain about all the Ginger related places i've visited in the US, LA is definitely worth the trip if you get the chance, Oakwood Memorial Park out at Chatsworth is definitely worth a visit :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You see I would love to go to those places over there, but I'm a big chicken when it comes to flying, and knowing you flying over water would not make me happy lol.
      Yes L.A. is a definite place to go! I know after I graduate next school year I'm going with my mom to L.A. and I really can't wait. Especially to see all the gingery things, and yes the Oakwood Memorial Park is a definite place to go to. :)
      Have a gingery week!

      Delete